Google and other search engines are very picky when they grant websites a high ranking on their SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages). As you can imagine, the competition for a high placement is huge.
Given the level of competition for high Google rankings, and given the high level of competition within the practice of personal injury law, you need to do everything you can to try and win a coveted place in Search.
What are the most important optimization features looked for by Google?
Here are a several optimization features Google (and other search engines) like that can help you rank higher in their SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages).
- Metadata: Metadata is information that informs about other data. In the context of the subject at hand, it is information that is used to describe the data present in a web page, a document, or a file. It’s a short summary telling what the data is. On a website, each page has a space between the <head> tags to insert metadata. There are several different types of metadata; the most important for rankings are the title and the description metadata. These help Goggle and other search engines to classify and display the information about a page in their SERPS. Metadata needs to be relevant, accurate, concise, and descriptive.
- Your URL (aka Uniform Resource Locator): The URL of your website needs to be written for humans, making it SEO friendly. Google also prefers shorter URLs.
- Use ALT (Alternate) tags: These are descriptions you should use to describe your visual and video media, as they allow Google to find your page, which is especially important for those that use text-only browsers or screen readers. These tags should include your SEO keyword and relate to the particular media, i.e., audio, image, or video, you are using.
- Image and Video File Names: Googlebots need to determine what your images and videos are about, so to ensure that they can, use an image or video filename that includes a keyword relevant to your business and the subject at hand.
- Bold and/or Italicized tags: It helps the search engines and visitors to identify the main topic of any given web page within your website when you use bold and italicized tags. These emphasize the important keywords, thus making the search and meaning easier.
- Page Content: Don’t overload a page with keywords. That’s called “keyword stuffing” and Google and other search engines don’t like this practice. Rather, focus or your top 3 or 4 keywords throughout the page (use bold type or italicize them). Keyword density should be around 2% to 3%. Also, Google likes bullets in content that has several important points to make. It helps the reader to focus on one point at a time, without being overwhelmed.
- Social Media Links: Always be sure to link your website to the social media platforms you post in, as this can help you in search rankings.
- Make your website link-worthy: Include relevant links within the text of your website content. These help to make your site more trustworthy and reputable. When including a link, do not use “click here,” as that has little or no search engine value. Instead, write out the name of the link destination with a descriptive word or two. This not only improves search engine optimization, but adds value to your readers.
- Regularly update your website’s content: Never let your personal injury law firm’s website continue to show outdated information. For instance, if you have a new staff member, or an old one has left, be sure to update that page. In addition, refresh the content from time to time so it doesn’t get stale. Lastly, and importantly, incorporate a blog into your website. Google loves blogs, as they do so much to define who you are while informing the visitor about information relevant to their needs.
By employing these features for optimizing your website, you greatly increase your personal injury law offices’ chances of showing higher up in the SERPs. If you feel you don’t have the time or expertise to do this, we at Group Matrix do.
If you need help with any aspect of your personal injury law website, give us a call at Group Matrix. Our staff of programmers, artists, developers, and writers can design your website to be clean, compelling, and loved by Google.